Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
What levels of blood sugar can cause nerve damage

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

I am having symptoms which can relate to nerve damage. I am having IBS for some unexplained reasons. Nerve pain in left hand and throat and recently problem of sweating on waking.
My HbA1c measured thrice this year has beem 5.5, 6.1 and 5.9. Last one was in July.
Fasting Glucose measured thrice this year was 108, 107 and 82. Last result was in October.
randon glucose in Octobe and November was 105 and 111 mg/dL

Can such levels of glucose lead to a serious diabetic condition such as nerve damage?

I am heart patient and cardiologist has ruled out heart to be the culprit.

Thanks a lot.
I would love to consistently have your numbers.  I am a spinal cord injury (C5-C6) and when I have numbers like yours, I notice no changes in my nervous system.  Before I was diagnosed and my glucose level was over 600, I was having a numb area on the bottom of my left foot.

I am not a doctor but it seems like your problem may be from some other source.

Good luck.

Millard
You should be aiming to keep your blood sugars below 140 at all times (and better below 120).

Do you test after eating?  YOu should test 1 1/2 - 2 hours after eating to see the effect of what you're eating on your blood sugars.  You can then adjust what you eat to minimise the spikes (lower carb is generally better to prevent spikes).
I think it depends on your highs and lows.  My A1C is only 5.3 & fasting 109mg/dL, but my daytime average is 152mg/dL and it sometimes drops to as low a 40/50s at night.  I have both IFG (impaired fasting glucose) and IGT (impared glucose tolerance).

I do get tingling sensations with my ulnar nerves on both sides and numbness with my cranial nerve V2 on the left side. Moreover, I get excessive diluted urination (which I think is because my bladder muscles are weakened and cannot hold urine well) and hypotension from that.  I'm tired all the time.

I am taking vitamin C (150mg) with each meal which lowers my glucometer readings, but it doesn't help for the tingling and numbeness, hypotension and hypo-/hyperglecemia symptoms.  

I will take a prediabetes class with a local expert, and share with you if I find out anything helpful.  But to answer your questions, you surely can get peripheral neuropathy from prediabetes, and I'm speaking from first-hand personal experience.  Best of luck to you!
Hi Annie,

you are also correct that keeping blood sugars stable is important.  Highs and lows are both better to be avoided.

ie. keeping blood sugars within a range of about 80 - 120 at all times.  

Would recommend the book Diabetes Solutions by Dr. Richard Berstein.  He recommends a very low carb diet and appropraite use of meds to stabilise blood sugars.