Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
is this pre diabetes

A community of people with Pre-Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences on prevention: nutrition, fitness, management.

is this pre diabetes

My recent  visit to the doctors  my fasting blood glucose was 107, my last three visits were around 95.II AM 53 years old five foot 10 and about 250 pounds, have been at this weight about five years.. my doctor was not to concered about the rise in the glucose level, sould I be thanks for the help. hobss57
I have to disagree with the previous poster, the comment is misleading. A fasting level of 107 mg/dl indicates prediabetes.

Fasting glucose levels:
Normal: 60/70 to 99 mg/dl
Prediabetes: 100 to 125 mg/dl
Diabetes: above 125 mg/dl

You doctor could have taken it one step further by ordering you to undergo an A1c test. An A1c provides an insight on glucose levels over the past 3 months. A fasting test tests your glucose level only at the time of your blood draw, not what it was the day, week, or months prior. But don't blame your doctor as some doctors do nothing until the onset of disease, then they take action. I think of it as being reactive not proactive.

You have the chance to reverse your condition with a little proactive effort on your part. Limit your intake on foods made with white flour - white breads, crackers, pasta & starches like potatoes - as these foods quickly turn into sugar after eating. Do some sort of physical exercise daily [walking is good] to burn off excess sugar, and maintain proper weight. Of course avoid sugary foods & liquids, especially deserts. Good luck.

U r free from the Diabetes

Fasting glucose levels:
Normal: 60/70 to 99 mg/dl
Prediabetes: 100 to 125 mg/dl
Diabetes: above 125 mg/dl

I agree with waverider...except I feel it is the doctor's fault for not recognizing this as being prediabetic. Something's wrong when lay people pick up on something a doctor doesn't. Fortunately waverider gave you great advice, and it's now that you want to work hard to turn this around, and you can.  This same thing happened to my husband.  The flight surgeon would find a small amount of sugar in his urine and when he mentioned it to his PCP, he was told not to worry about it....now he has full blown Type II Diabetes, is on insulin, and others medications.  He can no longer fly, but had he been told to take this seriously, there's a good chance he'd still be flying and a non diabteic. Good luck and take care!
Good advice above. My goal is to test normal although I realise I'm diabetic for the rest of my life. I have lost 50+ lbs and gone from obese on the BMI test to a shade above normal weight. I credit watching those carbs; no more than 60 per meal. I expect my next A1C to be below 6%. Good luck
Thanks for all the help, went back to the doctor and he did say it was pre diabetes, SO  dropping the pounds and  exercise here I come. Thanks again  for the help.
You're welcome. It's nice to hear the doctor clarified your result. Good luck with the weight loss.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
May 20
MH Community Mgr commented on Jade59's status
May 18
MH Community Mgr commented on mhv's status
May 15