is this pre diabetes
my blood sugar level just came back at 122, eight months ago it was at 107. Previous to this it has always been under 100. I am a 54 year old male that does need to lose some weight. Am I in pre diabetes stage  and can I prevent this from turning in to diabetes with out meds, Doctor wanted to put me on meds but I want to try weight lose 1st. am I wright.
"my blood sugar level just came back at 122"

Depends on when you obtained this result. If preprandial fasting [usually 1st thing in morning b4 eating], the answer is yes, prediabetes. If postprandial [2-3 hours after a meal], the answer is highly unlikely. Random testing is useless as it only gives false/positives.

Losing just a few pounds through exercise and eating well can help with preventing diabetes. Others on this forum can attest to attributing their rapid weight loss to a reduction in carbohydrate food intake. See this for low carb eating http://www.atkins.com/Homepage.aspx  Good luck
To my opinion you are likely a pre-diabertic 2. If I were you, I would buy a A1C self-test kit called A1C Now,made by Bayer, and it is VERY accurate, available at Walmart for $23.00, follow instruction, voila within 5 to 10 minutes later, you will see your A1C number which is  the standard method  to determine a diabetic 2. If your A1c is between 5,6% to 6.4% than you are
a pre-diabetic 2 according to Dept. of Health.
Good luck.
Actually prediabetes is 100-125 mg/dl which in A1c is 5.1-6%. An A1c of 6.4% equates to 137 mg/dl, diabetes.
Just got back in town and read your answers, thank you, the reading was during fasting . going back to doctor in three months will get a A1c test done then. now hopefully diet and excersize will do it, thanks again.
You can save money and time by purchasing a home A1c tester at Wal-Mart, Walgreens or CVS.
You are 54 years old now and you need to take care of your health. At this stage diabetes is the most common factor which effect whole body system. So i f you want to go for exercise and with out med's then you need to consult with your doctor. By knowing sugar level no body advice you for this. Lot's of factor working parallel.