Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
surgery and diabetes

A community of people with Pre-Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences on prevention: nutrition, fitness, management.

surgery and diabetes

I routinely have blood sugars in the 150 range my A!C has been 7.7 and 8.2.  I was suppose to have some foot surgery, but it was cancel because of the A1c.  It is the 1st time I was told I couldn't have surgery because of the diabetes. My regular doctor signed off on me having surgery.  The foot surgeon wouldn't do it. I just didn't think my blood sugar level was of any concern.  

Your A1c converted to daily glucose values are 174 mg/dl and 182 mg/dl. Better work is needed on your part to improve control and management of your diabetes. Read this very helpful thread

TIPS FOR DIABETES PREVENTION
By nursegirl6572  Jul 01, 2012

Also, having high levels for a period of time can cause complications from surgical procedures. Most likely the reason you were thumbed down. Follow this link on complications and what you can do to improve your chances.  http://tinyurl.com/diabetes-risk-after-surgery

Lastly, speak with the foot surgeon to see what levels you need to be at for surgery to take place, then grind your teeth and go to work at it.. Good luck -
I appreciate your response a lot.  I agree with the glucose values you say.  I have those type of numbers.  It is pretty common for me to have them.  I was switched to glipizide a couple months ago.  I wonder if it is the right med for me.

I tried to go the website you recommended and did not have success getting there.

Once thanks for the response.  

Ann
"I tried to go the website you recommended and did not have success getting there."

Copy/paste the url. I double checked and was able to get there using Firefox and IE. Here's the long url
http://surgery.about.com/od/beforesurgery/ss/DiabetesSurgery.htm

After 8 years, I recently switched from Metformin to Glipizide. I was getting erratic fasting levels, some as high as 170 mg/dl. Levels are now <120 mg/dl. It's recommended to take Glipizide 30 minutes b4 breakfast, I take mine an hour prior.

Do you take Glipizide once a day?  If so, what is your blood sugars at the end of day. Today I didn't get my Glipzide taken till lunch time.  My blood sugar 2 hours after eating was 112, which was great. Beginning of today before eating breakfast I was 179. I think the glipizide helps, but doesn't last the day.
"Do you take Glipizide once a day? "
Yes, usually around 5-6am. I eat breakfast 30-45 minutes later.

"If so, what is your blood sugars at the end of day."
<120 mg/dl

"I think the glipizide helps, but doesn't last the day."
Don't rely on medications to do all the work for you. There there to 'help' you. Do you exercise and break sweat for 60 minutes daily? Are you at normal body weight? Are you eating a proper diabetic diet? If not your diabetes will progress. When it does you'll end up eating medication multiple times a day, eventually injecting insulin too.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
ill13632 possible aphasia, deafness ... Comment
MH Community Mgr commented on msniki412's status
Apr 24
mckritty commented on Derealization and Dep...
Apr 22