Diabetes: Type I Expert Forum
Husband is insulin-dependent but still eats candy!
About This Forum:

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Husband is insulin-dependent but still eats candy!

Hi

My husband has had Type I since he was a child and is insulin dependent.  He INSISTS on eating candy every chance he gets.  Can you give me some good information that I can share with him to see if I can get him to STOP this destructive behavior?   I would really appreciate any help or information you can offer.

Pam
4940325_tn?1363038957
It is usually acceptable for people with type-1 diabetes to have candy, as long as it is "covered" with an appropriate dose of rapid-acting insulin and does not occur too often.  "Grazing," whether it be with candy or starchy snacks, does not allow sufficient time for mealtime insulin to act and bring the blood sugar back down to normal.  We generally recommend spacing meals and snacks at least 3 hours apart to allow the glucose to return to normal before eating again.

You might consider asking your husband to teach you how he is able to indulge in sweets yet control his diabetes.  Do so in a non-judgemental, non-threatening way.  If his answer is not to your satisfaction, then accompnany him to his next appointment with his endocrinologist or diabetes educator, and raise the question with them.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
4940325_tn?1363038957
Gary Scheiner, MS, CDEBlank
Integrated Diabetes Services LLC
Wynnewood, PA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now