Diabetes: Type I Expert Forum
Long acting insulin not lasting full 24 Hrs

Insulin dependent carb. counting NovoRapid with meals Lantus Solostar basel taken at night however my levels were rising before bed, conclusion the basel wasn't  lasting the a full 24Hrs, changed to taking basel in morning now i'm high reading's for breakfast and lunch dropping too low in the afternoons this seesaws back to another high reading before bed. which was the problem to start with. any idea's, I'm in the mind to revert back to taking the basel at night together with a higher ratio of insulin with my evening meal.
Sounds as though your basal insulin needs vary through the course of the day & night.  Have you considered an insulin pump?  With a pump, you can vary the level of basal insulin on an hourly basis so that you don't have to give artificially high or low doses of mealtime insulin to compensate for basal insulin levels that are off.  

Another option might be to take a relatively low lantus dose (to keep you steady during the day), and add a small dose of NPH near bedtime.  This is something you can ask your physician about.