Diabetes: Type I Expert Forum
mike

mike

Hi, i have had a aic test done and the reading was 11.0 no one explained anything to me so i assumed it was a normal reading,However several months have passed and i must say i have not been feeling very good i continue to brake out in sweats ,my hands shake,i have constant headaches ,i urinate alot amongst other things imost times i get the feeling were i think im going to pass out but i dont.I have also been having alot of pain in my ankles and i have been extremely weak i dont know what to do??Is this diabetic related and what should i do??
An A1c (or HbA1c) is a blood test that measures the percentage of red blood cells that have glucose (sugar) adhered to a specific spot.  The higher the A1c, the higher the average blood sugar has been.  Because red blood cells live for an average of 3 months before they are broken down, the A1c reflects the average blood sugar for about the past 3 months.

In a person without diabetes, approximately 4-6% of red blood cells have glucose attached.  The represents an average blood sugar of approximately 70 to 120 mg/dl.  Your A1c of 11% represents an average of approximately 270 mg/dl.  If the result is valid (there are some blood abnormalities such as anemia that can artificially alter the result), then your blood sugar is much higher than it should be.

The symptoms you described are characteristic of someone with uncontrolled diabetes.  You should speak with your physician as soon as possible about treatment, which may include a combination of medications and lifestyle changes.