Diabetes Expert Forum
Alcohol found in urine test

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Alcohol found in urine test

Is it possible for a false positive or alcohol in a urine test if youre diabetic?  Im in a suboxone clinic and I get tested every two weeks.  I was positive two consecutive times in July when I had my toe amputated and then it was fine now I tested positive again in November two consecutive times again.  Back in July I had a UTI and believe I might again.  Help Im accused of drinking and theyre going to throw me out of the program  I don't drink and don't use any OTC products with alcohol  
Thanks for using the forum.

It is possible for the urine test for alcohol to give a false positive. If they are testing for EtG, the use of other household products such as hand sanitizer, or mouthwash that contain alcohol can cause a positive result. In these cases the alcohol is absorbed through the skin or oral mucosa.

Additionally, diabetics can get a false positive result if the urine sugar level is elevated and yeast is present in the urine. The yeast can ferment the sugar into alcohol if the test is allowed to sit for a while before it is tested.

I hope this helps.

Cathy
This is anecdotal  BUT ive heard of diabetics failing breath tests.  Id call the maker of the test and see if high ketone's can cause a false positive.  being diabetic with pore control you might have high ketone or sugar in your pee