Diabetes Expert Forum
Best time to take meds

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Best time to take meds
65 yrs old. Type ll for 8 years. Dr. changing meds in last two months to get readings down. Taking the morning readings and meds at wake up.
10-18-08 to 11-04-08 - 15mg Actos only. At wake up, avg 186 - before dinner, avg 197
11-05-08 to 11-19-08 - 30mg Actos + 4mg Glimepride. At wake, avg 181 - before dinner, avg 156
11-20-08 to 12-04-08 - 30mg Actos + 4mg Glimepride. At wake, avg 163 - before dinner, avg 124
12-05-08 to 12-14-08 - 30mg Actos + 4mg Glimepride, Add 2mg Glimepride before dinner. At wake, avg 167 - before dinner, avg 114.
The before dinner readings have come down quite a bit however, the readings at wake up have changed little and are still high. My Dr. is thinking about changing the Actos to 45mg.
Question 1. Would increasing the Actos be benificial in reducing the morning readings?
Question 2. Since I'm active during the day and have little activity after dinner and while sleeping, is it possible that taking the Actos and 4mg Glimepride BEFORE dinner and the 2mg Glimepride in the morning could lower the morning readings?
Increasing the Actos further is unlikely to bring down your glucoses as you are close to the maximum dose right now. The Glimiperide is more likely to help if the dose is increased but please note that this should be discussed with your doctor prior to making any dose changes on your own. If they do not work, you may need to consider another regimen. In addition keep in mind to avoid nighttime snacking as this contributes to morning highs.
Take care.
Thank you for your response. Do you have any thoughts on question 2? I'll be seeing my Doctor in two weeks. Thanks...
A related discussion, Dosage time for Actos? was started.
A related discussion, Weight loss and high morning sugar levels was started.