Diabetes Expert Forum
Bladder Neuropathy

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Bladder Neuropathy

My husband was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic over a decade ago.  He was recently diagnosed with bladder neuropathy/retention.  His urologist has recommended self catheritization.  I was hoping you might have some information on some other options.  Is there any surgical procedures that can stimulate the bladder?  The self catheritization is very painful for him.  He is diligently keeping his blood glucose levels under control and is eating right and exercising.  He is 55 years old and in good health other than his diabetes.  We are both hoping that there is some treatment for this condition other than using a catheter.  Thank you for your help.
I am afraid this is not quite my realm of expertise. A urologist is likely to know the best and most up to date options--you may want to seek out a second opinion from another urologist. In the meantime perhaps trying the smallest size catheter may help the pain and discomfort.
Good luck and take care.