Diabetes Expert Forum
Blood Sugar Level Drops after Eating
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Sugar Level Drops after Eating

Normally blood sugar levels rise after eating.  What causes my blood sugar levels to drop after I eat?  Even if I eat candy or other sugar sweets this happens.  I experience a drop of sometimes 30-40 points.  Could this be a pancreas issue or could this be related to the bowel resectioning I had two years ago? I take no medication for diabetes.  I was only told by my gp to monitor blood sugar levels after a fasting blood sugar test was over 130.  My A1C level is 4.6.
I am a 62 year old female and currently, my health issues are the blood sugar variations, slight hypertension, Gilbert's Syndrome, and elliptocytosis hemolysis.
Thank you for your response.
Tags: bowel
291531_tn?1193614293
Hi,
It is quite possible that your bowel resection is playing a part here, depending on what part was resected. Post-meal relative hypoglycemia can also occur when there is a very brisk insulin rise that is somewhat mismatched to the rise in glucose--not necessarily a disease per se, and can often be helped by eating small mixed meals with a little protein, carb and fat in each meal.  If you ever have very low levels less than 50mg/dL or symptoms of fainting etc, this should be more aggressively addressed to keep you safe. There are also rare syndromes that can cause low blood sugars, and if concerned I think you should seek out an Endocrinologist for further assistance and guidance regarding the right tests to have performed.

take care.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, glucose drop after eat balanced healthy meals was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5289563_tn?1366052034
Cathleen Zoretic, RNBlankBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979