Diabetes Expert Forum
Blood Sugar Level Drops after Eating
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood Sugar Level Drops after Eating

Normally blood sugar levels rise after eating.  What causes my blood sugar levels to drop after I eat?  Even if I eat candy or other sugar sweets this happens.  I experience a drop of sometimes 30-40 points.  Could this be a pancreas issue or could this be related to the bowel resectioning I had two years ago? I take no medication for diabetes.  I was only told by my gp to monitor blood sugar levels after a fasting blood sugar test was over 130.  My A1C level is 4.6.
I am a 62 year old female and currently, my health issues are the blood sugar variations, slight hypertension, Gilbert's Syndrome, and elliptocytosis hemolysis.
Thank you for your response.
Tags: bowel
291531_tn?1193614293
Hi,
It is quite possible that your bowel resection is playing a part here, depending on what part was resected. Post-meal relative hypoglycemia can also occur when there is a very brisk insulin rise that is somewhat mismatched to the rise in glucose--not necessarily a disease per se, and can often be helped by eating small mixed meals with a little protein, carb and fat in each meal.  If you ever have very low levels less than 50mg/dL or symptoms of fainting etc, this should be more aggressively addressed to keep you safe. There are also rare syndromes that can cause low blood sugars, and if concerned I think you should seek out an Endocrinologist for further assistance and guidance regarding the right tests to have performed.

take care.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, glucose drop after eat balanced healthy meals was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank