Diabetes Expert Forum
Blood sugar drops after eating

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Blood sugar drops after eating

Hi, I was told last year that my blood sugar was low so i was given a meter. I notice that when I wake up in the morning its about 90 but when I eat toast I get very hungry and shaky around noon. When I take my blood it 50 to 60. Is the bread causing my blood sugar to drop? It causes me to be very tired and dizzy

You may be having an overly brisk insulin response to eating heavy carbohydrate loads(like the bread) and a form of what is sometimes called "reactive hypoglycemia." If this is the case, the best treatment is to have several(usually 406) small mixed meals during the day instead of 2-3 big ones that tend to be heavy in carbohydrates. The small meals should have a portion of protein, carbohydrate and fats. Try to avoid simple sugars like sweets, sodas etc, as well as meals that are predominantly carbohydrates. This should help. If you continue having low blood sugars or ever get to a point of passing out please seek medical help as soon as possible. Do not drive when you feel tired and dizzy.
Take care
i work with a woman about 40 who i think has type1  diabetes . she takes insulin in the morning, but first thing in the morning has a rootbeer and then takes her shot, and about 1/2 hr later looks pasty and appear lethargic.  Today we had a meeting and after the meeting she had a chocolate donut.  this really bothers me and i think she might drop dead one day.  she never drinks water, she is african american, very overweight and has sight problems and she doesnt really go to the bathroom very often.  she only eats fastfood and softdrinks.  She doesnt believe in diet drinks because she feels their unhealthy...  what can i do, i know i shouldnt care but it makes me sick.

what is considered low blood sugar? I have recently been getting tested and my levels are around 40-50 mty dr says this is low im alittle over welmed by some other things and have neglected to ask "what is normal"
A related discussion, Blood sugar levels was started.