Diabetes Expert Forum
Blood sugar out of control...

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Blood sugar out of control...

Good afternoon. I have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes for about 5 years now...I think I had the problem well before that but I had a doctor who would never run the test (just lose some weight, etc). I'm not very good about keeping my levels under control because I get so discouraged that I just give up from time to time. For example, 3 1/2 weeks ago now I was feeling very disoriented so I checked my sugar (please note that I had not been eating correctly or exercising but I was taking most of my medicine) and it was 458. Needless to say, this scared me straight. For the last 3 1/2 weeks, I haven't missed any of my medicine (Byetta 10(2 X per day), Metformin 500(1 X per day), Amaryl 4 mg (2 pills, 1 X per day)), I have exercised (real exercise, sweat and everything) for a minimum of 30 minutes every single day, I haven't eaten any sweets and have kept my carbs very low (lots of fish, egg whites, and cucumbers). I'm monitoring my sugar 4 times a day right now. My lowest reading was last week and it was 197, my 7 day average is 268, right now (just checked it) it is 325. I am currently without medical insurance and can't afford to go have a million tests run right now. I've called my doctor's office and asked about Novalog Mix 70/30, I was put on it after a brief hospital stay about 1 year ago and it's the only thing that has ever really dropped my blood sugar. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor now. Another interesting thing is my blood sugar is always it's highest when I first wake up in the morning (well over 300 in the am). I've tried checking it in the middle of the night to make sure that it  isn't dropping to low at night (I eat supper around 5:30 and don't eat again till breakfast) and it's usually just in the low 200's. I just wondered if you had any suggestions or ideas as to what my problem could be and what I could do to help bring this under control.
Good work taking your meds and starting to get on a  exercise program. It is already showing n your numbers and it will improve further. You have lots of room to go up on your metformin before heading to insulin, so discuss this with your doctor. The usual dose of metformin, assuming your kidney and heart function are fine, is 1000 mg twice daily. It may also help with your weight loss.  Continue with the dietary changes to lose some weight. You definitely need medication in the evenings if your morning blood sugars are the highest, so perhaps this second dose of metformin can first be added at night to help. Discuss with your doctor.

Take care and best of luck to you. You can get control of this, hang in there.

I think you should take Gliclazide 80 mg 2 tablets in morning and in evening before meal and metformin 500 mg one tablet after breakfast and after dinner.
please inform me if by taken ofther medication your blood level could get high as 400 - 500  my mom has her sugar level out of control she take medication for her arthristis and i think the medication is making her blood level high she does not eat sweet or out of control eating eats very little small potion . med. name are Methotrexate 2.5 Prednisone 5 mg.  Metformin mg. gliipizide which are for the diebetic (diabetic) please inform me how she could control her sugar all the time is like this high 400
Thank you so much for your help. I contacted my doctor and he upped my metformin to 1000mg in the am and 1000mg in the pm. My blood sugar is 130 right now...the lowest it has been since being diagnosed. Thank you so much!