Diabetes Expert Forum
Burst bowel and bladder in a diabetic

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Burst bowel and bladder in a diabetic

Someone close to me has type 2 diabetese and her bowel and bladder has burst. I know she went under emergency operation last night but I need to know is it life threatening. Or will she be ok after the op. She is an elderly lady. Please can anyone give me any advice and tell me will she die or be ok.
Tags: bowel
I am so sorry about this complication and situation for your loved one. Any emergency surgery tends to be more serious, and in elderly people there is more concern because they have a more difficult time with recovery.  I do not know the other circumstances behind this i.e what the cause was, infections etc, all of which can make it more serious.
I wish I could tell you definitely that she will be okay, but I can't. The situation is likely serious, so be as supportive as you can in whatever ways that are best(praying, helping family, being at the hospital, speaking with the doctors). Trust in the doctors that care for her but be a good advocate and look out for her as well. Part of her care will be making sure her blood sugars are controlled after the surgery to help healing, so speak to them about this also.
All the best to you and your loved one, take care.
hi
my mums bowl burst a few weeks ago and she has had two go threw 2 operations to fix it. she was in atensive care for weeks she was in acoma for weeks and all the blood cells had burst in her body but the doctors was not sure if they had burst in the brain so if it had of burst in the brain then that meant that my mum was going to die. but she wolk up after 2 weeks and she had fasculer ritis so she couldnt move anyhing at all in her body. But now she is doing really well she is out of atensive care and down in the word she is eating and she is moveing her arms really well but she still cant wolk but the pheseos are in everyday working on that and hopefully shes up on her feet in another few weeks. she has a bag at the minute but in a few months down the line the surgins might be able to fix her bowl so she dosint half to waer the bag.