Diabetes Expert Forum
Byetta and insulin

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Byetta and insulin

I am a type 2 diabetic and I have been on insulin for about 10 years.  I am currently on Novolin 70/30.  My doctor has decided to start me on Byetta.  I've been on it a week now.  Everything I read about Byetta says to only use it with Lantis insulin.  I pointed that out to my doctor, and she said I was fine to take the one I'm on.  I'm concerned.  I hope she knows what she's doing.  She had also originally only given me a prescription for the Byetta 10 - but the pharmacist felt that was wrong and had me contact her, and she thought 10 was fine to start, but I insisted on decreasing it to 5 as all the directions say, and she finally gave me a prescription for the 5 but only to appease me.  I was very nauseus for the first couple of days, but now I am ok.  Just getting headaches now.  Hope that goes away.  I can't even imagine how bad I would have felt if I had started on 10.  

Should I be concerned about the insulin I am on?  I would sure appreciate a professional's opinion, and would like to know if there are others doing that, too.  I'm just not confident that my doctor knows what she is doing, especially when she wanted to start me out on Gyette 10 right away.  I know we all need to be proactive with our health these days.  Errors do happen.  
Tags: byetta, insulin, byetta and insulin