Diabetes Expert Forum
Can i avoid to prevent diabetes?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Can i avoid to prevent diabetes?

There are type 2 diabetes runs in my family, both my grandma and my dad have it. My diet isn't the best in the first place, but I want to do my best to try and avoid getting diabetes in the future.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

This is a really good thing for you to do, especially since you have diabetes in your family history.  There is no sure way to guarantee that you will not develop diabetes.  However, maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy weight, and not smoking will all help you lower your risk of diabetes.  Also, early diabetes screening can help detect prediabetes and diabetes in early stages.  The American Diabetes Association has a great website that has a lot of information that you may find helpful.  I encourage you to take a look at it.  good luck.

Bridget