Diabetes Expert Forum
Chocolate Makes Me Sleepy

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Chocolate Makes Me Sleepy

Whenever I eat chocolate, lile Hershey's Kisses or M&M's I get really sleepy. I really like chocolate but have a hard time staying awake when I eat it.

There is a history of diabetes in my family but the last time I was tested for it, it was negative. Is there some kind of disorder that would account for this. Some other types of candy have this affect on me but others don't.
HI,
Have you ever rested your blood sugar during these sleepy periods?

If it is not high(over 140) or very low(less than 50)then it is not likely a blood sugar problem causing the sleepy feeling. Chocolate has other substances, some of which trigger headaches in some people etc, as well as fat. Perhaps this is what your reaction is related to instead of the sugar content. In either case, I suggest trying to limit you chocolate(and candy) intake, for all good reasons. Sorry!
Take care.