Diabetes Expert Forum
Ciinamon Supplement?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Ciinamon Supplement?
Do you have an opinion if cinnamon is helpful in managing blood sugar levels?  I see wild claims that it helps a lot, other claims that it is useless, and others tha beyond useless, it can cause liver toxicity in some.
Funny you should ask this question--a recent study just came out about this.

A few years ago a study had showed some improvement in gluose and cholesterol levels using cinammon and some studies using cells were also promising. However this recent study showed no improvement. One important fact to note is that these studies used large doses,upwards of 500mg of cinammon in capsules, not teas or sprinkles here and there.
So right now the jury is still out on this one!
I have diabetes type 2, and I have been taking cinnamon capsules , I bought over the counter , I do not know if this help but everythin that no harm to your body is good to try.
Chiqui1554
Cinnamon does contain ingredients that can be harmful in too high amounts and cause organ damage.
Since the orignal study in Pakistan saw benefits at 1/2 teaspon per day, sprinkling a little bit on some applesauce or putting a stick in your tea once in a while wouldn't hurt any, but perhaps avoid concentrated capsules.
My guess is that it doesn't do anything much over time.
The body is just more complicated than that .
I told my dr. yesterday I was taking 500mg of cinnamon in capsule form he said thats fine. I also take 500mcgs of chronimun and 2 tbls of acai daily. My last Diabetes specialist tells all his patients to take the cinnamon. So u saying if causes organ damage? I think that is a pretty bold statement to say that IT DOES CAUSE ORGAN DAMAGE. I think if that were true someone would black label it some how. I figured that Dr.Ramsetty would have stated that if it were true. After all she does specialize in Diabetes. And see's organ function test all the time, and I am sure she has patient that use cinnamon.