Diabetes Expert Forum
Cinnamon effective against IR

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Cinnamon effective against IR

I have PCOS. Because of the PCOS i have insulin resistance as well as impaired fasting glucose. My GYN has referred me to an Endo. for treatment of pre-diabetes. In the meantime I have been taking 3,000 mgs daily of cinnamon to help with the IR. My question is: Can the cinnamon actually help and possibly reduce my risk of becoming diabetic?
There was some data a few years ago from a study that showed cinnamon can help reduce blood sugars, and there is also some in vitro data showing how it works. However just last year another study was published with not-so-impressive findings, so the case for cinnamon is still up in the air.
Take care