Diabetes Expert Forum
Diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Diabetes

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks ago.  The Dr. prescribed metformin.  I asked for a referral to an endocrinologist since I have an autoimmune disease (Stiff person syndrome + not overweight, normal blood pressure and choloesterol is normal).  They said they would refer me to an endocrinologist.  6 days later hadn't heard anythoing from an endocrinoligst so called the Dr.'s office and they resent the referal.  Week later still haven't heard anything from an endocrinologist.  Called thed Dr. office again,  told them 2 things.  Don't think the metformin is working because my glucose range has been 125-304.  And I still haven't heard anything from an endocrinologist.  Nurse said she would speak with the Doctor.  They didn't get back with me.
Two questions,  How concern should I be about the fluctuation of glucose level  and should I go to a different family practice Dr.?
Thanks for using the forum.

I would recommend calling your doctor and asking for the name of the endocrinologist you are being referred to. It is not clear which end the failure to communicate is coming from, but you should be able to make an appointment and check on the status of the referral. If it has not been received, it is possible for the endocrinologist office to call your doctor to get it. Unfortunately, it looks like you are going to have to do the leg work to get your appointment set up.

As for your blood sugar. Metformin does take some time (weeks) to start to effect your blood sugar. In the mean time, make sure that you are making the necessary dietary changes. Did your doctor refer you to a dietician or give you a diet plan? You want to get your blood sugars under control as soon as possible.

Good Luck.

Cathy
BG changes

Met can take up to a month to work.

304 is very high

What do you eat?  We do know that carbohydrates (carbs) raise BG. you will notice I did not say sugar... sugar is a carb, so is whole wheat bread and pasta and rice and potato and most fruits.  

test before you eat, test 1hour after (if BG rise is over 40 Pts you eat too many carbs).   2 hours after eating tells you how well your pancreas phase II response is (should be back to pre meal numbers).

cant you find out who your endo will be, and call them to see if they got your referral?

I know I have to make the endo appointment then call my MD who then sends the referral to the endo.