Diabetes Expert Forum
Diabetes and eye pain

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Diabetes and eye pain

I have confirmed diabetes through blood AC1 testing. My question is and I went and seen a optometrist and the doctor could not find anything wrong with my eyes. Doctor said my eyes are healthy. Reason I went to see the doctor was I have been experiencing eye pain in the back of the eyes everytime my blood sugar goes up. Pain is so severe that it feels as if the back of the eyes are tearing apart and I get a bad headache. Doctor said that I may have neuropathy in the eyes and I should see a neurologist. Can this be the case?
I know I have neuropathy problems as I have pain in my right heel, my left hand on bottom of finger is semi numb and I have pain in my right wrist, kind of like carpal tunnel. So I checked my left finger by using a needle that I use to check my blood and poke certian parts of side of the finger with out looking and did not feel anything. I explained that to my doctor and doctor agreed and made consultation to a nerologist for further examination. So my questions are could I have neurapathy as I have described
You certainly can have diabetic neuropathy even if your diabetes is recently diagnosed, because the majority of people have had elevated blood sugars for some time before diagnosis. I have not had any experiences with patients having eye pain as their neuropathy however, so that question would best be answered by your neurologist. If you saw an optometrist and not an ophthalmologist, I would suggest seeking out the latter(and an expert in diabetic eye disease) to ensure your retina, optic nerve etc are all fine.

Take care.