Diabetes Expert Forum
Diabetic with gangrene infected foot

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Diabetic with gangrene infected foot

My dad is in his 50's.  Last April he suffered a stroke. He has had diabetes since i can remember. Im worried because his right foot is infected with gangrene.  He goes to the doctor weekly for checkups and improvement or what not.  Recently they cut open a two inch slash and took out the infected tissue.  When i saw his foot yesterday i can see the inside.  It smells, which is a symptom i guess you would call it from gangrene.  He says the doctors want to stitch it up. but since he is diabetic will it heal correctly? what can be done to make his foot better? is there any hope????? or will it soon have to be amputated???? i have been looking online about gangrene and diabetes but i would like to hear something from a doctor...... please help- it breaks my heart to see him suffer........
p.s.
he also has an ulcer on the top/ underside bottom of his foot....... will that ever heal or go away?????
It is quite difficult for healing to occur in people with diabetes once gangrene has occurred. I cannot say specifically about your Dad's situation because I do not know the extent etc of the wounds, but it sounds serious based on your description. Ultimately the surgeons are the ones who make this decision regarding if the leg/foot is viable and will likely heal or need to be amputated, so please stay in good contact with the surgical team. Several factors will play into whether or not this will heal(as well as the other wound you mentioned) including how well your Dad's sugars are controlled now, how much damage has been done, if there is active infection there and the extent of good blood flow to those areas.  
Speak at length with the surgeons to get their honest opinion, and what is ultimately the best for your Dad's health in the long run. I know this is a tough situation--ask lots of questions and be as supportive as you can.
Take care.
-8 Comments
Hallo.  Where can we buy those supplements.  Are they available in the Phillippines?  If not, then where can we possibly buy those?
A related discussion, antioxidants & diabetes was started.
A related discussion, I need advise on the very rare complication AMYOTROPHY was started.
A related discussion, Being prepared was started.