Diabetes Expert Forum
Dieting has not helped with my A1c scores

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

I have been told I am pe diabetic with a A1c score of 6.4
I have cut seriously down on carbs and sugars but in 3 years of testing the A1c figure remains between 6.1 & 6,4
I am 67 have reduced my weight from 205 to 182 over the same period, and  have not been able to significantly change those A1c numbers.
I am fearful of getting type 2 and want to know what else I might do.  

Is it advisable to start measuring my glucose on a daily basis in an effort to learn how my food intake might be affecting my glucose levels.  I have a doctors visit next week and will discuss this with him, but I am looking for possible "out of the box" methods to help me.
Also, are there any nutritional supplements that have been found helpful??
Thanks for your help!
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

A hemoglobin A1c score between 6 and 6.5 is considered pre-diabetes.  What this score means is that you have an increased risk of developing diabetes.  YOu are doing all the right things by watching your diet, losing weight, exercising, etc.  This is pretty much what you would need to do.  YOu need to decrease your risk factor of developing diabetes.  It may be that your numbers never get any higher, and you may remain in that pre-diabetes category.  Your numbers could also improve because of the lifestyle changes that you have made. Or you could go on to develop diabetes.

Continue to follow up with your doctor.  He or she will let you know how often they want you to come in to have your blood work checked.  They also can counsel you on any other lifestyle changes that you can make.  I think it is unecessary to check your blood glucose on a daily basis at this point in time, however you can discuss this with your doctor and see how he/she feels about it.  Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bridget
Thank you for your thoughtful reply