Diabetes Expert Forum
Do I have Diabetes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Do I have Diabetes

I've been seeing a psychiatrist for over five years changed to a new psychiatrist about a year ago because of anxiety and insomnia my doctor prescribed Xanax for anxiety and Serequel XR for sleep it worked like a charm. Last week I went to an appointment to get my monthly check ups and new scripts and he mentioned that I should get lab work done to see if I have diabetes from the Serequel XR and to check my cholesterol. I was like sure no problem at first but now I'm totally freaked out....I'm only 36 female and no family history, how could this be? Why wouldn't the doctor tell me this years ago when I first started this medication or did they JUST find out about it?
796253_tn?1344994932
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Seroquel XR can cause an increase in your blood sugar and can increase your risk of developing diabetes.  The blood work is done to check and make sure that your blood sugar levels stay stable.  IF your doctors start to see a rise in your blood sugar levels, or if the levels are elevated, they may want you to switch to a different medication.  If your blood work is normal, then you do not need to worry.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...