Do I have Diabetes
I've been seeing a psychiatrist for over five years changed to a new psychiatrist about a year ago because of anxiety and insomnia my doctor prescribed Xanax for anxiety and Serequel XR for sleep it worked like a charm. Last week I went to an appointment to get my monthly check ups and new scripts and he mentioned that I should get lab work done to see if I have diabetes from the Serequel XR and to check my cholesterol. I was like sure no problem at first but now I'm totally freaked out....I'm only 36 female and no family history, how could this be? Why wouldn't the doctor tell me this years ago when I first started this medication or did they JUST find out about it?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Seroquel XR can cause an increase in your blood sugar and can increase your risk of developing diabetes.  The blood work is done to check and make sure that your blood sugar levels stay stable.  IF your doctors start to see a rise in your blood sugar levels, or if the levels are elevated, they may want you to switch to a different medication.  If your blood work is normal, then you do not need to worry.  Good luck.

Bridget
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.