Diabetes Expert Forum
Feeling shakey(shaky).

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Feeling shakey(shaky).

Hi. I am a 34 year old woman who has in the past been more physically active, and exercised, but currently work two jobs and does not exercise.  I mildly watch what I eat. When I eat pasta and rice it is whole wheat or brown.  It seems there are times (not always) when i eat a meal, that does not appear that carb heavy to me, and i feel hypoglycemic after I eat.  I get sweaty, shaky, difficulty with thinking, I feel light-headed and like my heart is racing and I feel like I always need to take several deep breaths.  I usually either sit down for a while or grab some chocolate and it goes away.

So this morning I had 2 pieces of olive oil buttered wheat toast, and 2 whole eggs mixed with cheese, red/green peppers slices, chicken breast (about 3-4oz), and 1/3 cup hash brown like shredded potatoes.  And a glass of V8 fruit Splash juice.  And about 1-1 1/2 hours later I felt this weakness, hypoglycemic feeling like I had to stop working on cleaning the house and sit down.

Does this sound like anything treatable?  Or something serious?  Diabetes does run in my mom's side of the family, but I know traditional diabetics have too much sugar and not enough insulin, and it seems I have enough insulin without enough glucose.  I don't want to eat simple sugars, but I feel like when I eat the more refined sugar that takes longer to process is when I have these episodes.  

Any suggestions??

Thank you.

Your symptoms could signal reactive hypoglycemia often referred to as post-prandial hypoglycemia(after meals only). It often occurs in slender young women or people prone to developing diabetes. In the latter group, which you may be given your family history,  insulin action is delayed, so your blood sugar rises rapidly after eating then comes down VERY quickly when too much insulin is released all at once. The level is usually not bad(often not less than 60mg/dL) but the fall from high to low is what makes you feel so badly.
The first thing to do is cut back on what you are eating --the breakfast you described sounds like more than 1 serving of food.  
Second, obtaining a glucose meter from the pharmacy may be helpful in figuring out what is going on. Hypoglycemia is only diagnosed after the number shows it, so it is best to actually test. Alternatively you can discuss with your doctor having a 2-3 hour glucose tolerance test performed to evaluate formally eveluate for glucose handling abnormalities.
Third, try to change your current eating pattern to one with smaller meals several times a day(4-6 times) using small mixes of complex carb, protein and fat to encourage slower rise in glucose instead of a rapid rise and fall.

Hope this helps.Take care

1 Comment
A related discussion, blood, anxiety, and food HELP!!! was started.
A related discussion, help...terrified by doctor!! was started.
A related discussion, help!!! doctor scare was started.