Diabetes Expert Forum
GD and Impact on Baby
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

GD and Impact on Baby

Dear Dr,

I am 38 yo and 30 wks pregnant.  I was diagnosed with diabetes immediately after getting pregnant (I have hypothyroid and my endo tested as soon as I was pregnant), and started on insulin at about 14 weeks (I guess this means it was preexisting but ok with my diet and exercise prepregnancy).  My blood sugars have always been within target < 95 fasting and < 120 2 hrs after eating, except recently when they are only slightly above range (ie. < 100, <130) and I expect we'll increase insulin when I see my endo next.   However, I have gained a lot of weight (30 lbs so far - all in the past 3 months - had appendicitis at 3 mos and lost weight leading up to and immediately after laparotomy surgery), and have a lot of swelling (Grade 4).  BP normal. Last HA1c 2 months ago was mid normal range.

My Ob did u/s today and said baby having growth spurt and is too large.  33 weeks size (4.4lbs), vs expected 30 wk size (3lb) (previous measurements baby was on target).  She says maybe the GD kicking in. Has asked me to be even more careful with the BS control and to stop gaining weight.  Although I have D, my BS is not out of control.  

At what levels of BS would GD cause baby to be too big?  I do have D, but BS are pretty much on target.  Should I be targeting lower levels than the 95/120?  Any idea how many calories should I be targeting (am 5'5" and currently weigh 194 lbs)?

I really don't want CS, am terrified of additional surgery.  Also very worried about what I am doing to my baby with all these complications.

Thanks so much for any advice.