Diabetes Expert Forum
Gestational diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Gestational diabetes
Am I certain to have a big baby with this disorder......
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Women with gestational diabetes (diabetes that is diagnosed during pregnancy) tend to have larger babies at birth.  Your doctor will closely monitor the size and growth of your baby throughout your pregnancy with ultrasound and non stress tests.  Your goal is to have normal blood sugar levels throughout your pregnancy.  This is usually done with diet and exercise and sometimes medication.  Blood sugar levels often go back to normal after delivery and your baby will be monitored briefly after birth for low blood sugar.  I hope this info helps.  Good luck and congratulations.

Bridget