Diabetes Expert Forum
High blood pressure and hypothyroidism

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

High blood pressure and hypothyroidism

I know im in the wrong forum but would like to know if you know about high blood pressure and hypothyroidism.My Tsh level was around 8 and my bp was 150 over 90. I am on levothyroxine 50 mcg and taking blood pressure pills 2 a day.  I am 24 years old and have high both of these issues.I have no sex drive or desire at all.I dont get any morning or night erections and erections are to weak for penetration. Can u tell me what does high blood pressure and being hypo have to do with no sex drive and no erections? what can i do to solve my problems? Thanks looking forward to your response.
HI,
I think that your levothyroxine dose likely needs to be increased based on that TSH value. In addition, your blood pressure is still too high and needs to come down a bit. There are several reasons for your erectile issues, including the hypothyroidism(which contrbutes quite a bit), possible side effects from the blood pressure agents, side effects of having high blood pressure in the first place, and even the possibility of a low testosterone(which should be checked). Speak with your doctor about increasing your thyroid dose, possible side effects of your blood pressure agents and getting your blood pressure down, and also testing your testosterone levels.  Also, if you smoke I strongly suggest that you stop--this does not help erectile function either.
Hope this helps. Good luck and take care.
thanks for your response...I would like to know how being hypo affects my erectile dysfunction? What would you recommend my dose to be for my levothyroxine? What is the normal range for testosterone for good sex drive? Also, im taking Isdaprine for my blood pressure that can have an effect on my sex drive?