Diabetes Expert Forum
Is Diet pepsi/coke safe for Type II diabetic patients

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Dear Friends,

I have very much enjoyed my time on Medhelp and have learned from you even while hosting our Ask-A-Doctor forum for Diabetes. Sadly I am leaving the Medhelp community as my own practice has become busier and time constraints have proved quite challenging. So from April 7th 2008 I will be officially away from Medhelp, but you can still find me at our practice website www.endocrinehelp.com, so please drop me a  line if you wish. Most likely a new physician will be hosting the Diabetes forum for Medhelp in the future, so please continue to check in with the Medhelp community.
All the best to you and blessings for the future,

Sincerely,
Anita Ramsetty,MD
of course it's safe.  just don't drink a gallon of it a day and you'll be fine.  some people prefer other "natural" or organic options, which can be a little more expensive than other artificially sweetened drinks such as diet colas that contain aspartame or phenallyne.  Otherwise known as that stuff in the "pink" or "blue" colored packets on your dinner table at a restaurant that are supposed to be "sugar" for people who don't want actual sugar.  
some diabetics can have real coke, however you have to cut your portion size down to less than half the amount because of the sugars and carbs, or other ingredients.  some people would call your question stupid, but i think it should be answered because some people don't actually know that diet and sugar free soft drinks were developed for diabeteics, and other people in mind who have caloric restrictions due to specific medical conditions.  Watch the sodium though- some of those sugar free drinks tend to be higher in sodium.
when in doubt, pick up a bottle of water- it's the best for you in the long run.  i think soft drink companies are warping the minds of our society anyway, and should not be supported in their campaign to brain wash everyone into becoming soft drink drinking droids.
soft drink companies need to be addressed for their support of the global holocaust we are facing- they need to be held accountable for war crimes, and they need to not be supported by diabetics in this nation.
It also takes the calcium from your body..........water is the best!
Thank you for all your great hel.  Good luck in all you do.
Madge
a recent study is interesting in showing that zero-calorie sweeteners taste sweet but don't satisfy your desire for sugar.

that is to say, you can drink the diet coke, but you'll still want more since it didn't satisfy your craving.

you'll drink that diet coke and will eat even more than you initially intended to since you're not satisfied
As far as I know diet coke is for thirst not hunger.  I eat when I am hungry and drink when I am thirsty.  But thats me.