Diabetes Expert Forum
LP-IR vs A1c - Which to believe
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

LP-IR vs A1c - Which to believe

I recently had a comprehensive blood test done that included NMR and Hemoglobin A1c.  The NMR was very good:  LDL-P 603, LDL-C 85, HDL-C 92, Trig 28, Total cholesterol 183, Small LDL-P less than 90, LDL size 21.3 (Pattern A).  My Insulin resistance score based on my lipid profile was "0" which is an assessment of my diabetes risk.  However, my A1c was 5.8 which is increased risk for diabetes.  Fasting BG was 95. So, which do I believe?  I'm a 61-year old female, 105 lbs, lifetime exerciser, on meds for hypertension (Lotrel 5/20, Spironolactone 25 mg), Cholesterol (Zocor 20 mg, Slo-Niacin 500 mg), Synthroid (50 mcg) and a daily baby aspirin (plus quite a few supplements).  For the past 6 months I've changed my diet to lower carbs (except for healthy carbs such as green veggies), eliminating starches and processed foods.  Can you give me some insight into how one test says I have "0" risk for diabetes and the other says I am at increased risk?  Thank you.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979