Diabetes Expert Forum
Looking for SSRI less likely to cause hyperglycemia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Looking for SSRI less likely to cause hyperglycemia

I'm a lung transplant & kidney transplant, with diabetes.  My diabetes is a combination of types 1 & 2 - it's Cystic fibrosis-related diabetes.  I use insulin.

I take lexapro for depression caused by prograf, a drug similar to cyclosporine.  Prograf is my primary drug for stopping rejection.  The lexapro works GREAT, but raises my blood sugars substantially.  What anti-depressants, SSRIs or TCAs, have less an effect on blood sugar levels?

My steroids are 2 mg/day; the lexapro has substantially more effect.  And I'm not in the post-surgical period: it's been 13 years since my double lung transplant and 20 months since my kidney.

Thanks in advance for ideas.