Diabetes Expert Forum
MRI with contrast and Metformin

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

MRI with contrast and Metformin

My endocrinolgist ordered a MRI with Contrast on my brain for the possiblity of a prolactin secreeting pituitary tumor or something similar.  I am type II diabetic and take Janumet.  I think I remember reading in the side effects, warnings and uses pamphlet that there were some tests, proceedures and surgeries which you shouldn't have while on the medication.  

How long should I be off the medication before and after the MRI?  Are there any other things I should consider before the test?

Also, when Dr's ask about vision problems, changes and such what type of things do they mean?  My vision has declined drastically in the last year and I have an abundance of floaters.  
HI,
In regard to the Janumet: speak with the radiology department where your MRI is scheduled to see their procedure. Depending on the contrast being used, some will want you to be off any medication with Metformin for 2 days prior and after the procedure. Check in with them to be sure.MRIs are sometimes not included in that group, usually it is concerning CAT scans.

In regard to the vision changes: your doctor should specify what kind of vision changes are in question. In regard to Type 2 diabetes often vision changes includes decreased vision blurred vision, floaters, haloes etc. In regard to prolactinomas, vision questions usually mean decreased peripheral vision(so needing to actively turn your head to see a little off to the side).
Take care

Just out of curiousity, at what prolactin level would you recommend an MRI to be done when the prolactin comes back outside of the normal range and pregnancy and medications have been ruled out as the cause?  

FYI my symptoms prior to having the blood work ordered were ongoing lactation for 5 years after the birth of my son.  I didn't mention it to my DR. for a long time as I thought it COULD be normal.  

One more thing if you don't mind... are there anything I should keep an eye out for or bring up with my Dr. that I might not think of or she might not think to ask?  :-) (I requested all my lab test results to be faxed to me, if you think that would better help you, I can provide it when they arrive)

Thank you very much for your help and speed in responding.
I thought it might be helpful for me to post the tests that came back "out of range".  Any help on what they mean would be great...

Triglycerides: 158  (range <150 mg/dL)
HDL: 42 (range or = 46 mg/dL)

Creatinin, Random Urine: 422 (range 20-320 mg/dL)

AST: 40 (range 10-30 U/L)
ALT: 67 (range 6-40 U/L)

Prolactin: 50.5 ng/mL (range non-pregnant 3.0-30.0)

TSH, 3rd generation: 4.55 (range .40-4.5)

Thyroid Peroxidas Antibodies 42 (range ,35 IU/mL)