Diabetes Expert Forum
Pain near bottom side rib - Adrenal Glands?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

I have noticed pain, when pressed, near the bottom part of the rib, on both sides, near the back.  Are those the adrenal glands above the kidney?  If so why are they hurting?  

I have noticed symptoms of morning fatigue, and lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or crouching position.

What tests can I have to confirm this, and what are the remedy?  Thanks in advance!
HI,
The adrenal glands are situated above the kidneys on both sides and are generally small glands. It would be unusual for them to cause pain on both sides unless there was a mass present(on both sides.) Kidney infections or other diseases of the kidneys can also produce pain in the areas you specified. You will need a thorough physical examination in order to determine what course should be taken for further investigation into your pain, and if imaging like a CAT scan is needed. Please discuss with your doctor as soon as you can.

Your symptoms could be related to an adrenal issue, but also from dehydration, infections and other disease conditions, so I am afraid I cannot offer a specific remedy based only on your symptoms.  Please make an appointment to be seen by a physician in the near future for a full evaluation.

Take care.

I, too, have had pain in the same area on both sides in the kidney area.  It seems to be worse after I go to bed.  I will wake with pain (not escruciating) and in the am when I wake up.  Once I arise it seems to dissappear.  I recently had my thyroid killed with nuclear medicine.  I also do not sweat a lot and have a block sweat gland at the base of my heel.  I have had surgery to have it repaired but it did nothing.  It still is there.  I am assuming I have some type of gland problem overall.  What organ (if there is one) aids in functioning glands properly?  I am loosing some hair, (I am on synthroid) aching joints and muscles.
DeeDee