Diabetes Expert Forum
Pre Diabetes?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Pre Diabetes?

I'm 21yrs old, female. Am 5'6 1/2 and 124lbs. I have anxiety problems. The last time I had my fasting glucose checked it was 104. I hadn't eaten in probably 14-15hrs. And didn't eat much the day before b/c of being in a very heightened state of anxiety. I just had a general CBC and BMP done. That what the glucose was, and everything I read says it is pre-diabetic. I am not overweight, I eat somewhat ok, but not the greatest, and do get exercise. There is a small amt of diabetes in my family. Could I be pre-diabetic?

Also, another question. I know someone who was dx'd w/ diabetes who was NOT overweight at all, ate healthy, exercised, and NO family hx. She is 42.  In those cases, what is the possible cause?
Your first question-- based on that single fasting glucose of 105, that does put you in the 'pre-diabetes' range. A few years ago the guidelines changed "normal" from fasting of less than110 to fasting of less than 100.  Yours was JUST over the mark, so my first suggestion is to repeat your fasting glucose. If it is again above 100, your doctor should arrange for you to have an oral glucose tolerance test to see how you respond and look for possible other glucose abnormalities. Don't panic about this, but certainly continue to exercise as you are doing and try to change your diet to a healthier one. You are not overweight but exercise helps glucose metabolism even without losing weight. Have you also talked to your doctor about your anxiety? I cannot tell how significant it is by your description, but if it is affecting your life it is something you should also address as that could be affecting your metabolism.

2)regarding other causes of diabetes-- many people do have diabetes without being overweight or having family history.  In some cases it is caused by another illness or medications. Sometimes there is family history but the person is unaware. There are rare causes also.
Hope these answered your questions. Take care of yourself and don't worry too much. Even if this is pre-diabetes you can do alot to affect the course.
Girl, my best advice is to get some jogging shoes and go jogging daily at this point.  You might need to cut certain foods out of your diet and eat smaller portions.
So you do think I have pre-diabetes? No one else I've asked seems to think much of it. You are sounding like I am about to die or something... jeez
I think when your body goes for a long time without food like you stated you did ,  it will draw upon the glucagon stores to raise the blood sugar on its own, so while you think it should be real low since you went so long without food, actually, it is just a normal reaction of your body to the low sugar to raise it to a normal level on its own.  I wouldnt worry to much about it.  Work on  your aniety, that might be causing you to worry about too many things that a young girl your age shouldnt be worrying about too!  Your second question is a good one,which I want to see what the doctor says about that too!  Good luck!  Hugs, Shannon
Thank you Shannon!!