Diabetes Expert Forum
Prediabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Prediabetes

Hi, I am a 37-year-old overweight female, who was told two weeks about that I may be prediabetic.  My doctor said my blood sugar was 114 and advised that I lose weight, start exercising, adopt a healthier diet.  I have embraced all of those suggestions eagerly - started exercising 60 min a day for 6 days a week, and eating a low-fat, low calorie diet with vegetables, fruit, fiber, etc.  I've lost 7 lbs since I've seen her, and over the last three months, have lost a total of 25 lbs.  (I had gained about 40 lbs since last fall, due to depression/anxiety, so I had started my weight loss at 210 lbs.)  I now weigh 185.  The last time my blood sugar was checked (before this occasion) was when I was pregnant with my twins (they are 3-1/2 years old now).  I did the 3-hr glucose tolerance test and it was normal.  

Anyway, I am pleased with my lifestyle changes and I won't stop my weight loss until I reach 140lbs, but I am distressed about my chances of returning to normal glucose levels.  

First, I want to ask if drinking two or three cups of black coffee, about 3 hours before the blood test, and eating two boiled egg whites would have any effect on my blood sugar level results and, if yes, what kind.

Second, I am hoping you wouldn't mind chiming in as to whether you think me waking up at night, about six hours after I go to sleep (every night since I started my diet) is related to my blood sugar.  I can't eat for 3 to 4 hours before going to sleep because of reflux, so I don't eat a bedtime snack.  Also, I am eating a low calorie diet at this time, and space my five meals a day about 2-1/2 hours apart.  However, I never feel hungry.  Is there something important happening to me that I should be aware of in regard to blood sugar or do you think this is anxiety and depression?

Thank you so much.      

First, congratulations on such an achievement of losing that weight on your own. That is wonderful and truly to be commended.

In regard to the first test: it definitely should have been done fasting(after atleast 8 hours). I doubt that the proteins and coffee you had affected it terribly though.

In regard to waking up at night: I doubt it is related to your blood sugars but the only way to know is to check a fingerstick at night when you do wake.

Hope this helps,
take care and keep up the amazing work.
I just wanted to add that I recently bought a home testing kit.  I took my bs yesterday, three hours after a meal of: protein shake and 8 wheat crackers, and it was 94.  I took it this morning after fasting overnight (about 10 hours) and it was 84.  Aren't those kind of normal values?  Do you think my first test was wrong (because of drinking coffee?)?  

I thought I might simulate a glucose challenge when my husband was home (not today) and then take a look at my levels.  
I'm thinking the waking up at night is due to 2-3 cups of coffee, is it decaf?