Diabetes Expert Forum
Prediabetic diet

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Prediabetic diet

Hi, I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic (in October) with a fasting level of 114.  (I had a normal metabolic panel 1-1/2 years ago).  I've been on a low-fat, low-cal diet and have lost 30 lbs since September.  I wanted to know if it would be a detriment to my efforts at reversing prediabetes if I ate low-carb for a few weeks - just a change of pace from my usual diet (which had 1/2 to 1 serving of carb at 5 very small meals a day).  I actually plan on getting the carbs I eat from vegetables instead of grain at this time.  I would still eat low-fat proteins on a regular basis (and less strict on Christmas).  I thought low-carb would help me conquer the holidays because I could eat some semi-normal food just on Christmas (except for the carbs!) and not do any damage to my blood sugar control.  Thank you.  i guess I just don't understand what the proper diet is for a prediabetic.
Congratulations on making all of those dietary changes! That is often the most difficult part of this diagnosis and you have conquered that already.

In my opinion, it does not matter very much which diet you use, especially as a pre-diabetic, as long as you lose weight  or maintain your goal weight. Diets that are higher in cholesterol are not ideal but for the most part most diets are just fine. Low Carb is just fine for a short period of time to help control your weight over the holidays.

Good luck and happy holidays!