Diabetes Expert Forum
Prediabetic diet
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prediabetic diet

Hi, I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic (in October) with a fasting level of 114.  (I had a normal metabolic panel 1-1/2 years ago).  I've been on a low-fat, low-cal diet and have lost 30 lbs since September.  I wanted to know if it would be a detriment to my efforts at reversing prediabetes if I ate low-carb for a few weeks - just a change of pace from my usual diet (which had 1/2 to 1 serving of carb at 5 very small meals a day).  I actually plan on getting the carbs I eat from vegetables instead of grain at this time.  I would still eat low-fat proteins on a regular basis (and less strict on Christmas).  I thought low-carb would help me conquer the holidays because I could eat some semi-normal food just on Christmas (except for the carbs!) and not do any damage to my blood sugar control.  Thank you.  i guess I just don't understand what the proper diet is for a prediabetic.