Diabetes Expert Forum
Questions about speeding wound healing
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Questions about speeding wound healing

I am a 19 year old type 1 diabetic and recently had an ingrown toe, the wound from that is basically healed up and progressing nicely (thank god) but now all this dead (I guess?) skin around the toe has come off and I'm left with half my toe covered in the normal layer of skin and half of the toe (big toe btw) missing the first layer or two of skin!
And this afternoon after I had a shower I noticed a small area of dry/dead skin on the bottom of this same toe and removed it which may not have been a good idea because now there too I am missing the first layer or two of skin (couple centimetres total diameter / width)

What can I do to aid and speed up the growth of new skin? I cannot afford any foot problems.

Do you think given my age I'll be ok with home remedies or should I make an appointment with a doctor? Nothing is infected.
796253_tn?1344994932
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Given your medical history of diabetes, I would see a doctor about this.  People with diabetes can suffer from prolonged healing time due to circulation issues.  It would be a good idea to have a doctor check this out before it does become infected.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank