Diabetes Expert Forum
Really confused - non diabetic with weird numbers

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

I have been having a lot of medical problems lately with an equal amount of testing to try to find the cause.  They may have found the cause yesterday but it has left me with more questions then answers.  My doctor ordered a three hour glucose test for me and called me with the results a few hours ago.  My fasting sugar was 79 but I dropped to 50 after drinking the glucose.  She said there is nothing that can really be done about it except to change my diet.  I told her what I generally eat and she said that is eating right, but that I need to eat more often, which I really have been trying to do.  However, if I am eating right and am eating more (a small meal/snack every 4 hours now) then how can there be nothing else to do?  My line of thinking says this:  there is obviously something not working right in my body, how do we fix it?  If after I eat a meal, my body 'crashes' so to speak, doesn't that point to a problem?

I have been monitoring my blood sugar levels leading up to the test, per her instructions.  What would happen would be that my blood levels would be something like 87 before a meal, 92 an hour after the meal and 80 2 hours after the meal.  REGARDLESS of what the meal was.  I drop if I eat a baked potato and steak OR if I eat a chicken breast salad.....  Any thoughts?  Because I can't imagine this is just something I have to live with  :(
1 Comment
Wow, you can eat so much and your blood sugar goes so low afterwards!  Is that Hypoglocemia.  I don't know much about it, but I would say that you may benefit from eating some of the same foods people with high blood sugar eat, and having small meals several times a day.  I guess you should see a specialist who can tell you why you have this and what you can do, it may be that your pancreas is excreting too much insulin?  Good luck and let me know how it goes, Julie