Diabetes Expert Forum
Scratchy bumps on the scalp

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Scratchy bumps on the scalp

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am on medication - not insulin. Of late I have developed a lot of rash on my scalp which is like littel bumps and is terrible itchy. If I do scratch then it turns painful. Could it be becasue of the diabetes or is it some other allerge. I color my hair.
It could be from your hair coloring, but the major issue is to make sure it is not related to diabetes, or possibly your medication, or another health issue. Has a dermatologist looked at the rash? If not, I think that is your best option, given that I cannot see what it looks like. Diabetes can be associated with rashes that stem from fungal infections. Plus the medications can have some side effects, so speak with your doctor soon, have him/her take a look at it and if necessary see a dermatologist. Seek medical help immediately if any of the rash starts to blister or flake off in large clumps, as this could be a sign of something more serious.
Recently, I have been breaking out with small bumps primarily on my wrist and across the back of my shoulders.  They appear for a briefl time and disappear.  I have one or two larger ones on my scalp.  A friend suggested to me that I may have diabetes what do you think?