Diabetes Expert Forum
Skinny type 2 diabetics at higher risk of mortality?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Skinny type 2 diabetics at higher risk of mortality?

Hello,
I've been hearing a lot about how skinny type 2 diabetics are facing higher mortality rates than their overweight counterparts. Is this true? Are there specific things surrounding as to why?  As of now I only weigh 145 pounds standing at 5 feet and 6 inches with a size 28 inch waist. These were my exact conditions when I was diagnosed. I don't really have any weight to lose. I am able to keep my blood sugar levels normal through diet and exercise, my A1cs are typically below 5.6%, my blood pressure is below 130/80 and my cholesterol levels are healthy. Am I still at a higher risk?
796253_tn?1344994932
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

I understand your concern regarding this new study that came out with this information.  The study did show an increased mortality risk for thinner,  normal weight people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as compared with their overweight counterparts.  However,  there were other factors that could have contributed to this finding.

First,  I am a nurse,  not a doctor.  I will try and give you some information, but I always tell patientss to discuss their concerns with their doctor- your doctor knows you personally where I can give you only some general info.  

The data that was collected for those recent findings was collected going back about 20 years or so.  A lot has changed in diagnosing/ managing diabetes since then.  This is before patients were testing their blood sugars at home.  The only blood sugars that were being done were in the doctors offices and blood sugars were not as tightly controlled as we know that they should be now.  Also,  other possible causes of death were not addressed.  For example,  some of theses patients may have been diagnosed with diabetes but may also have cancer,  COPD,  or other long term illnesses.

Finally,  being of normal weight does not necessarily mean normal BMI or mean that  a person is physically fit.  Patients who were of normal weight were often overlooked in screening for diabetes years ago simply because they were not overweight.  These patients possibly went longer with elevated blood sugars before being diagnosed.

Regardless of all these variables,  we now know that maintaining a healthy weight (including BMI), controlling blood sugars and keeping them as close to normal as possible,  and early detection and treatment for diabetes are all factors that improve outcomes for diabetic patients.  You sound like you are doing a great job managing your blood sugars and that is key foryour health.  I hope I helped a little bit.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank