Diabetes Expert Forum
Sugar Level of 31

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Sugar Level of 31

I recently went to Urgent Care for for a UTI and I mentioned to the attending doctor that I had felt really tired and run down the past week. She ordered some blood work and I got my results today. She said everything was fine except my blood sugar level was 31. The doctor said that normal levels are between 65 and 100. I've looked online a bit and it looks like this can mean I have diabetes. I felt pretty tired when I had my blood drawn but I had eaten earlier in the day (maybe 2 hours before) and I hadn't exercised. I'm not sure what would cause my blood sugar to be that low! I'm going to follow up with my regular doctor but was curious if there was anything out there that can cause this or if there are other resources that I can research. I'm otherwise generally healthy, I have an active lifestyle, exercise regularly, eat pretty healthy, and have a healthy BMI. Diabetes Type II does run in my family however. thanks
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

There are other possible causes for low blood sugar besides diabetes.  These include side affects from other medications, stomach surgery, metabolic disorder, etc.  It is a good idea for you to follow up with your primary care doctor about this.  A blood sugar level of 31 is pretty low and should be looked into.  Good luck.

Bridget
It also could have been a lab error.  My doctor always retests when there are blood test results that are well outside the norm; more often than not, the second test is within normal parameters.