Diabetes Expert Forum
Type 2 Diabetes and Prednisone

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes and Prednisone

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic (age 67) and am taking 7 days worth of Prednisone for a touch of pneumonia.  My blood sugar has gone to 200.  Is there something I can do to keep it down (my normal is usually around 120) and am I hurting myself during these 7 days?  How high do I let it go before I call for help?  Thanks for your help.
Prednisone can indeed cause some short-term rise in blood sugars, as well as the infection itself causing hyperglycemia.

YOu can speak with your doctor abut temporarily increasing the dose of some of your diabetes medications to keep it under control. Dietary changes can help as well, including increasing your water intake and further restricting sweets and simple carbs. I suggest contacting your doctor if you notice sustained glucose numbers over 200 during the following days. A short-term rise in blood sugars is not generally harmful unless it becomes very high and is accompanied by dehydration,ketones, confusion, vomiting, abdominal pain, or is unresponsive to your medications.Stay in close contact with your doctor during this time, and do not hesitate to ask questions.

Take care.
Thank you for your information.  I appreciated all your suggestions.  I'm watching what I'm eating very carefully - but didn't even think about water intake.  

What a wonderful comfort this forum is.  God bless you for your time and information.