What is your opinion of Berberine for lowering blood sugar?
I've read that there were a few studies done that showed that the herb, Berberine, can lower fasting blood glucose and A1c as effectively and in the same manner as Metformin without the side effects.  The studies also found that it can modestly lower cholesterol and blood pressure.  Everything I read was positive except for the fact that there are no long term studies done on this herb to see if it may prove to be harmful in the long run.  I was all set to buy a bottle from a company that manufactures in the U.S. (as opposed to China), but the lack of long term effects stopped me.  What do the experts here think about taking Berberine to stabilize blood sugar for someone who is pre-diabetic?
I always recommend speaking with your doctor before starting, stopping, or changing any medication or supplement. Your doctor is aware of your medical history and your medication and will be able to give you the best advise tailored to you. I am not very familiar with Berberine, so I do not feel comfortable advising for or against its use. However, I do advise caution if you have any history of liver problems. Berberine also, from what I read, can affect the metabolism of medications by the liver. For this reason I strongly recommend that you speak with your doctor to make sure that none of the medications you are on would be affected by this.

Cathy
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.