Diabetes Expert Forum
am afraid

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

am afraid

Morning
Am diabeted for the last 4Yrs.
Am pregnant, and I feel bad that on the long run my unborn child will have complication.
Heard many bad things of women being diabeted and being pregnant.
I dont believe on abortion, but I dont know if am doing the right thing.I dont want to bring to this world a baby with health issue.
Am afraid that if I ever am gone who will take care of my child.
I dearly desire this child, but can someone at least comfort me with a positive answer.
Even my family is telling me that all this is wrong, that am I ready for anything worst..
My question is what are the probabilities of having a healthy baby or at least what are my chances.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It is most definitely possible to have a healthy pregnancy and baby when you are diabetic.  The most important thing for you to do is to get good prenatal care from doctors who have experience with managing diabetes during pregnancy.  You will have to monitor your blood sugars closely and be careful with maintainig a healthy diet.  You may also need to change your medications. etc.  Congratulations on your pregnancy- I wish you all the best.  

Bridget
Hi Chapulina

I have been a type 1 Diabetic since the age of 6 and so have lived with the condition for 22 years now. I found that a lot of people out there say that it is a terrible thing to have and that there are bad things to come. These sorts of things are said by those who don't understand the condition. My wife is now pregnant and she too has  type 1 diabetes and has been for over 10 years.

We have done a lot of research into this before getting pregnant and there are many families who are fit and healthy after having children. Yes there are things to be careful of such as having high blood readings while pregnant. Here in the UK we regularly buy the Diabetes magazine and there is a lot of advice and support for those who are pregnant. There were 3 articles they published about moms who went through pregnancy and now have healthy children.

Do regular blood tests and try aim to keep your readings between 4.5 and 7.5. Lower sugar readings may not be comfortable for yourself but are fine for your unborn.  Let me know if there is anything more you want to chat about, but don't lose hope.
Sorry I meant to say that the blood readings I mentioned above is in mmol  so you may need to convert it to the units you use
Im 15 weeks and got pregnant with IVF...im type 1 for 4 years...Im staying positive to havs a healthy baby...there is no other option in my mind :-D And my baby will b i!!! Of course u worried, but that doesn't help. My sugars r ok, I get the occasional high, but its impossible to have perfect sugars all the time, the baby n me need to eat :-) I visit antenatal clinic every 3 week's n they r happy with my progress. U have to realise that some women get gestational diabetes n they might not even know about it for weeks or months...we r lucky in the way coz we r diagnosed :-) good luck n keep positive! x
I am diabetic and have been for 20 years now. I also have 2 very healthy little girls. My rise pregnancy was pretty easy (I did have 2 seizures from low blood sugars) but my second pregnancy was a little rough (more due to the lymphoma Cancer I had). I am now pregnant with my 3rd baby and things are great! The hardest part was having to go c-section due to my girls being so large at birth. It is very common to have large babies when you are diabetic. My best advise is keep up with your sugars at all times and watch your diet. All will be food :)
Best of luck to you and your baby and may God be with you they all of this.