Diabetes Expert Forum
diabetes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

diabetes

My Dr. just informed me that my blood work came back and my sugar level was 112.  I am 52, 5'3" and weigh 132.  I walk almost everyday about a mile.  I do have diabetes on my mother and father's side of the family.  But they do not have it.  Could it be possible for me to get it.
Related Discussions
291531_tn?1193614293
Hi,
In general a family history does put you at higher risk of developing diabetes in future, but not all people with diabetes have a known family member with the disease. You did not mention if the bloodwork was fasting or not. If it was, then you have what is called impaired fasting glucose, and should have a 2 hour glucose tolerance test as a follow up. If the test was a random blood test , then you should do one fasting to see what your sugar level is then.
You are currently not overweight and you are doing a wonderful things by walking every day. Keep an eye on your diet as well. Take care and let me know if you have other questions.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank