Diabetes Expert Forum
diabetic med and prrgnancy

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

diabetic med and prrgnancy

I'm am a 7qwek pregnant type 2 diabetic. Is it safe for me to continue to take my metformin and glyburide? My Dr. Didn't take me off them but un concerned will it hurt my baby? I'm being sent to a high risk Dr. But want to know should I stop them or not.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.  This is a question that you really need to ask the high risk doctor.  Your doctor will evalutate the risks/benefits of continuing the medications during your pregnancy with you (sometimes they will switch you to insulin coverage during your pregnancy, sometimes they will advise you to continue your meds).  The high risk doctor will have a better idea of how well controlled your diabetes is and will be able to make a recommendation for you.  Good luck.

Bridget