Diabetes Expert Forum
diabeties t1

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

diabeties t1
Hi. I am currently 10weeks and 3 days pregnant. My partner is a type 1 diabetic on 2 insulin injections a day. Just wondering if my baby will be diabetic also?? Him an his brother both got it at age 7. I am very clued up on how to deal with it and give my partner his injections sometimes i just wanna know if the baby will get it?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Just because your partner is diabetic does not mean your child will be as well.  Your child inherits genes from both you and your husband and the genetic link for type 1 diabetes is still not fully understood.  For example, there are cases with identical twins where one twin develops type 1 diabetes but the other does not.  So don't be too concerned at this point.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and congratulations!

Bridget