Diabetes Expert Forum
does sugar intake cause diabetes?

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

does sugar intake cause diabetes?

i have been tired of mom's warnings telling that excess intake of sugar will cause diabetes which results in a number of serious ailments... is it true that sugar intake is related to getting diabetic??? i have had my blood sugar test almost an year back and there was no sign of any increased sugar level...
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

According to the American Diabetes Association, eating a lot of sugar does not cause diabetes.  Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics, Type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle.  Being overweight will increase your risk of developing diabetes.  A diet high in calories (whether those calories are from sugar or from fat) can lead to you being overweight which is one of the risk factors for diabetes.  I hope this answers your question.

Bridget
thanks for the reply.. now i guess i can tell my mom about it...can sugar intake a bit more than medically permitted be a reason for me being lean???
Your diet restricts your sugar intake and carbs help you to lose your weight.Afterall total calories also matters.