Diabetes Expert Forum
ineffective insulin

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

ineffective insulin

Hi I was diagnose type 1 diabetic 2006, i inject Novamix 30 twice a day and it has been fine keeping my blood sugar levels constant. Recently i left my very physical job and now my blood sugar levels seem to be uncontrolable, is this because i have left my physical job or is it because my insulin is now ineffective and my body is use to the insulin level. Do you have a limit of the length of time on a type of insulin or should it be changed after a longer period of time.
HI,

A change in activity can certainly affect insulin sensitivity and thus the insulin needs of your body. In addition the needs can change if you previously were making some insulin on your own but now make less/none. We do not get used to an insulin, in a sense of habituation, and need to switch. Many people stay on one type of insulin for a very long time, but the dose tends to change with time.

Hope this answers your question, take care.
These pranayam exercises will help control the diabetes and the side effects.Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume later(after about a minute).The benefits will be noticed in weeks as the sugar level is checked daily.Over the long term the diabetes will be in full control and the medicine can be reduced in consultation with the doctor.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day)
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril
then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
Children under 15 years -  do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Also everyday, press the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.
Also do this: kneel down, breathe out,pull in stomach, keep your both hands on stomach, bend forward and try to touch the floor with your forehead.Do this 3 times to stimulate the kidney and pancreas.
Continue the exercises once a day, after the diabetes is in full control.