Diabetes Expert Forum
new, itchy rash
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

new, itchy rash

Hi there!

I have had type 1 diabetes for about 18 years, I am 36.  Last year I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, which had been contributing to lack of ability to stabilize my blood sugar levels.  I have been experiencing hair loss for a while, since I began having hyperthyroid problems (weight loss, feeling hot, mentally irrational).  3 months ago I came down with an itchy red rash on my trunk.  It has persisted & is getting worse, spreading to my temples & hairline.  

I visited a dermatologist recently but didn't feel satisfied being given a steroid creme & being told it was caused by stress.  

Any ideas?  I am concerned that the rash could be a side effect of my thyroid medication.  Or possible a sign of some other autoimmune problem.  

I'd be grateful for any help!  What I'd also really like to find is a recommendation for a trustworthy & thorough endocrinologist in the Minneapolis/St. Paul MN area.  

796253_tn?1344994932
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

I do not live in your area, so I don't really have any recommendations for an endocrinologist but hopefully someone else may be able to answer that question on here.  

As for the rash, have you seen an allergist.  He or she can help determine if the rash is an allergy or not and my be able to help figure out what is causing it.  Since you already saw a dermatologist, then a think an allergist would be a good next step.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bridget
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5289563_tn?1366052034
Cathleen Zoretic, RNBlankBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity